Cosmetic Ear Surgery in Reston, VA
What is an Otoplasty?
An otoplasty is a cosmetic surgery involving a change in shape, position, or size of the ear. These types of procedures are usually conducted to improve some kind of ear deformation that the patient was born with, or that developed as the result of an injury. While these ear deformities are not typically life-threatening, they can pose a significant hindrance to the individual’s confidence and self-esteem.
Conditions Treated By Otoplasty
The most common types of ear deformities that can be corrected with an otoplasty include:
- Macrotia (overly large ears)
- Protruding ears of various degrees
- Dissatisfaction with prior ear surgery
Eligibility for an Otoplasty
Ideal candidates for an otoplasty procedure include individuals that:
- Have fully developed ears, which usually occurs around the age of 5
- Do not possess any life-threatening medical conditions
- Are able to effectively communicate their feelings and opinions regarding the surgery and their goals for its effects
- Do not suffer from chronic ear infections
- Are nonsmokers
Because a majority of these surgeries are purely cosmetic, is it crucial for the patient to play an active role in all decisions leading up to their otoplasty. Individuals seeking an otoplasty should carefully consider their options for treatment, and should discuss these matters with a certified plastic surgeon in order to obtain realistic expectations for the surgery’s outcome.
Schedule Your Appointment with Dr. Gottlieb Today
If you are concerned with the appearance of your ears and would like to speak with a licensed plastic surgeon about treatment options such as an otoplasty procedure, please contact Dr. Gottlieb today. To schedule an appointment, please call (703) 668-9499.